Giant Squid is looking for an engine programmer to implement and maintain new features and customize existing features of Unreal Engine 5 to suit the needs of our development team.
Our ideal candidate will have a mastery of programming in C++ and experience writing engine code and team-facing tools on shipped game projects. Our studio creates unique games, and we build unique tools and systems in order to make them. Some examples of things we have done, and the kind of things that you would be doing, are customizing UE4 viewport interactions to improve their efficiency for level designers, implementing our own version of UE4 landscape that has a non-destructive editing interface and tile based load streaming, creating our own spline tools, custom game wide camera systems, and implementing our own level file type with better support for nesting, streaming and multi-user editing.
Empowering our art and design team is the core motivator driving these systems. A very important part of this job will be collaboration with the users of the tools and features to ensure that the interface is constructed in a way that delivers what they need to work quickly and painlessly. Maintaining and improving the tools throughout the course of the project will also be a large element of your responsibility, including assisting with engine merges. If deep programming, complex problem solving, and supporting creatives is your passion, this role is for you.
Giant Squid is a small and tight knit group of developers. We foster a friendly, open and inclusive team culture, and consider it paramount to the creation of quality games. Our games aim to be beautiful, timeless experiences that focus on accessibility and meaning over flashiness or violent mechanics. We strive to create novel gameplay that anyone can enjoy, respects our player’s time, and that fans will remember fondly long after. If you are interested in working closely with a group of thoughtful and dedicated developers on a high quality project that you can be proud of, please consider joining our team.
- Implement and maintain custom features and tools within the UE5 engine, editor and content pipelines
- Collaborate with level designers, environment artists, and technical artists to ensure the process of using our tools is efficient, painless, and straightforward
- Help build and maintain web-accessible systems for organizing metrics, feedback, and playtest data
- Collaborate on UE5 Engine merges to ensure tools and features remain functional across updates
- Mastery of programming in C++ for games
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4/5
- Written engine code and dev tools on shipped projects
- Wide breadth of programming knowledge and experience (shaders, SIMD and multi-core techniques, memory management)